Friday, February 15, 2013

spicy lentil burgers and other ramblings...

I was looking for a way to use up the lentils, walnuts and flax in my cupboard...so, I searched on the Internet and found a recipe for spicy lentil burgers!!

When you look at them, you would think they are a regular beef patty. The texture is similar, but all the more savory!

I sorted of combined two recipes because I liked elements of both:

http://www.bing.com/search/?q=spicy+lentil+burgers&a=results&MID=2500

http://www.bing.com/search/?q=spicy+lentil+burgers&a=results&MID=2500

*what I'm learning is that when a recipe calls for breadcrumbs or flour...I instead like to use ground flax seed! It's a bit healthier and keeps you even more regular! Also, I didn't find this really needed eggs to bind the mixture, as when you blend the lentils they are pretty sticky anyways.

There are always vegan alternatives to things. I thought I would miss eggs and milk or get some crazy cravings in the middle of the night...but, I'm not. It's like my body doesn't even miss those things. I can't explain it!

This is my fourth week into this whole adventure and I feel really proud of myself. When I cook these vegan and raw dishes, I don't feel deprived or that the food is lacking something...I feel whole. Complete. I'll have sometimes 2 or 3 helpings, and not feel guilty afterwards. It's so freeing.

When I read these recipes, work with my hands to create something I know I'm going to enjoy...I feel happy.

I think I may have said this before, but I can't believe how much this food is impacting me. Before I started this journey, food was a source of shame and guilt for me. While I still am working through some of these feelings, I am truly starting to feel like myself again. Food is not my enemy. When I hand pick good ingredients, I feel a sense of pride and like I'm building myself up again. Restoring myself again.

No comments:

Post a Comment